Friday 23 October 2009

Strong Castel

"In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue: be my strong castle, fortress of defense to save me. Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name, you lead and guide me. " Psalm 31: 1-3

Last week I visited the Moorish Castle, one of the historic points of Sintra. Located in one of the highest points of the region, the ruins of the castle, a fortress of refuge, give us the feeling of being back in time.


To Imagine the people who lived there, and the situations that they spent, brings to the heart a nostalgic feeling and at the same time, security and privilege.



There, in the highest tower of the castle, there was a card that had a very interesting fact about the glorious days of that fortress. The history tells that once a year, on the top of that tower, was lit a big fire for the people of the Village of Cascais, which stood for nearly 20 kilometers away, with the intent to show them that any time, under any attack, they would have in that place : shelter, refuge and protection.

As I prayed, looking at the ruins, I praised the Lord because He is my refuge and I can feel sheltered and safe on Him, protected by His mercy and grace. I praised the Lord Jesus because I can find peace and security in a “Castle” that will never be taken or put down, never will become a ruin, but rather, is Eternal, and worthy of all honor and glory.

We have many reasons to be grateful to the Lord. One is the simple fact that we can share our faith with those around us. I know that He has provided these situations where in a natural, clear and powerful way, we have shown this wonderful Jesus, Savior and Lord of our lives, that has sustained and driven us at all times.

To have the opportunity to speak to people from Portugual, Brazil, Angola, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, Bolivia and many others who we do not even know what country they came from, has been a great gift.

Sometimes we let ourselves be discouraged by the “alleged” defeats suffered in the world that we live in and not realize that the Lord is doing wonderful things very close to us and, often, through us.

So, it is easy to see that He is the Lord and we, instruments in His hands, need to depend more and more of His will and purpose, and for mercy, rest in His protection.

Goodbye.